Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pursuing Greater Highs

As you probably know -- climbing centers me. All the chatter in my head stops. Recently, I have acquired a Tuesday night climbing partner. Tom and I are about the same age, and about the same build, and about the same climbing strength. We usually swap belays and we challenge each other to climb harder and harder.

Today, Tom and I did our first 10b lead climbs in the gym. We have both climbed the route on top rope, and it was clear we needed to lead this thing. I started the climb and fell at the fourth clip. It took three tries to work through the clip and by the time I figured it out, I was too tired to finish the fifth clip. I think I can get this clean on the next couple tries. Tom had the advantage of learning from my efforts, and also had to take but managed to work his way to the anchors.

It was a nice afternoon of climbing. We started by doing some low warm up climbs. I started by doing three lead runs on an easy 5.8, and a fourth on an easy 5.9. I then belayed for Tom, and repeated his 5.10a, 5.8 lead combo. Tom took a couple slab top ropes while I rested before I headed for the 10b. After my failed 10b attempt I finished up with a simple 5.9 and top roped a 10b, and two 5.8 slabs.

It is clear I'm now going to need elbow icing, but it was worth it and I'm so thrilled I attempted a 10b on lead. I'm very excited with my new found confidence in my climbing. I think 10c's are soon to follow.

Now -- the count down to my week in Squamish begins.

No comments: