Saturday, June 28, 2008

Chrispy Fried Climber

I decided to take Friday off and work Saturday instead. I joined a couple of friends for an easy day at North Bend Exit 38. We ran into Tom, my Tuesday climbing partner at the gym, and we all lead a number of climbs.

The morning started with me parking my car at the P&R and grabbing a bus for a $1.25 to the Ferry. At which point, I walked on to the ferry and got relax and socialize with the daily commuters. Riding the ferry during commute time is always a wonderful experience. People watch can be entertaining, but I met a nice gentalman that was having a vicarious moment through me. How cool is that -- I usually think I'm living vicariously through my friends.

I walked off the boat and met my friends Bryan, my soon to be roommate, and Katie. I also made a new friend -- Bort. Bort is Bryan's dog and she, yes -- she, is a wonderfully sweet dog that will make Hana thrilled to have a friend.

So we headed off to the rock with Katie driving. Now, if you have ever had me as a passanger in your car, you know I'm a bad back seat driver. Thank god Bort was there so ever time I check for cars during a lane change I could use her as my excuse -- "Good girl, you're so sweet, yes you are..." Katie was a bit distracted as a driver -- but she wasn't a bad driver. We safely arrived at our destination after Katie saying, "Oh, that's our exit." Cutting across a lane of traffic and to the off ramp. Good times.

The hike into 38 is not bad at all. In fact, I think it was like 10 minutes. We spent the day at "We Did Rock" climbing the 5.9's a 10c and finally a 5.10a. With all of us leading we did pretty good. I was going to be lazy on the 3rd 5.9, and Katie laughed at me, and pulled the rope. Such a good friend. I lead the final 5.9 but not clean. There is this one section where you have to high step right above the bolt, and it just feels precarious. It isn't hard at all, just a mental work out. I wasn't prepared to lead the 10c, but I did top rope it and got it clean. I was excited, even though the only hard part was the first two bolts. It moved into a staircase after the second bolt and was just a nice easy climb.

I didn't get on the final 5.10a. We just didn't have the time for me to get on it and get back in time for Bryan. Yes, it was Bryan's fault. He had to work -- He hasn't quite figured out the rock climbing vs. responsibility quotent yet. Oh well. I will work him over in time.

After returning Bryan I went about unpacking and getting my evening together. I had a nice dinner with my aunt, and then I picked up Hana from her visit with Tango, her play buddy for the day. I got home, and while I knew I had gotten too much sun, the backs of my legs were so sore. I pulled out a couple of ice packs and aloe to cool the burn. I got a by fried -- Hey, that is rock climbing. It was worth it, and I look forward to more.

I had a good day.

No comments: