Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Barefoot Rappel

Rappelling barefoot is an odd sensation. It is very different than climbing barefooted — on rappel your feet are not keeping you in touch with life. You are on your decent and returning back to the world. The high is over, the emotions have calmed and you are probably at your most vulnerable. Your feet can gently wander over the rock touching the different textures, sharp edges, smooth slopers, but really your gear is what you depend on for the descent.

Coming down from "Central Pillar of Frenzy" I slipped off my shoes. I have nago's which turn my feet red. At the top of the climb, as I began my descent, I noticed the color rubbed off my feet and onto the rock. My feet soaked in the temperature of the rock. The morning sun had warmed it but the shade allowed it to cool. I slid my feet over the rock avoiding anything that might cut or hurt. The color rubbed off mostly at the top anchors as I began my rappel. It blended with the rock, but looked somewhat like a tragic accident.

At the second station there was no ledge. A full on hanging rappel. I went first off this station. My feet, without the sticky rubber or ledge to find a perch slipped over the smooth rock. It was difficult to get myself up high enough to ensure my rappel was setup correctly. It was a visual review. Biner through the belay loop. Both ropes correctly through the ATC. Everything locked down. For a backup, I put a quick sling with a locker onto the anchor by the rappel ring. I unhooked everything and made the 140 foot rappel. I had to stop over the edge to remove one line from a tree. The line went to the ground and I followed it down.

My feet landed in stone debris that immediately cut at my feet. I held the ropes as Kevin came down even though he didn't need my support. I wrapped my feet in socks and shoes and began the clean up of gear for our descent back to the car before I headed on my long drive home.

Yosemite is an amazing place. I entered from the East entrance Monday morning. The sky in the meadow was so blue. The air was clean, clear and domes of rock screamed to be climbed. I pulled into a lot and stepped out into the cool morning. I wasn't prepared for the temperature. The signs warning of bears concerned me more though. When I entered there was no ranger to give me the run down, so I walked over to the only other person in the lot. An older man, who looked like he spent most of his days in the park, gave me the list -- no scented items that might attract the bears, no sun screen, shampoo, toothpaste, wet wipes -- of what to remove and put in the bear box. He also gave me the location of the board for finding a partner for the day.

Finding a partner seemed to be elusive, and I decided to head down to the Valley and get a camp site. Camp 4 is an interesting place. You stand in line with your identification, lots of foreigners, and a Ranger who speaks loudly at people who barely understand him. Each person gets the run down -- everything with a scent goes in the bear box. I started to go through my car and found old bbq sauce, some shampoo, more sun screen. It is amazing what you can find in your glove compartment. I didn't mean to bring this all with me either. Oh, and don't forget to take your garbage bag with you.

I picked a site down by the YoSaR (Yosemite Search and Rescue) tents. I knew Kevin and his buddy Gabe were working on the Regular route of Half Dome and would be back at the site in the next day or two. I introduced myself to my camp mates Dom and Bill who where from England, and had finished a trip up El Cap. I wandered down the path to the village and checked things out. On the way back I bouldered and traversed about the rock.

There is an immaturity about this life. Yet at the same time there is a great deal to learn from the world that isn't capitalism, and politics, that isn't selfishness. It leaves you open to the experiences of life, vulnerable (I guess I'll use that word again.) This was my first trip by myself. For being all alone, I was surrounded by people. I made a choice to engage my world and meet the people around me. Heading back into camp I made friends with Libby, a 23 year old red head, who was at the cross roads -- to start a career or to be a dirt bagger. We talked about her adventures to prepare for Big Wall climbing and the decision of starting her career right out of college or to take time to live life. Enni and Pauli showed up a bit later in the evening. The young kids from Finland who were going to aid up Salathe sat and ate dinner with Dom, Bill and myself. My world was filled with new people and stories to share. I wish I could share them all, but they are not my stories to tell.

Tuesday morning a shaggy face popped over my cook stove. Kevin was down for a rest day, and wanted to take me out for some climbing. We ran up "The Nut Cracker" a fantastic 5.8 climb that has a sketchy mantle at the last pitch. The views were amazing for sure. I hope the Japanese guys who took our picture will email me a copy. We finished early and instead of running up more climbs we socialized for a bit. Kevin would be heading back to the dome to prepare for his attempt the next day.

Wednesday I missed a climbing connection. Such is life — it sucked. so I made my way down to the El Cap meadow. There were tons of people staring up at the climbers on the wall. I was quickly identified as one of those crazy types of people and queried about how it all works.

I met some nice young kids -- Tyler, Mike, Joelle, and John. They shared a beer with me and spaced with me. They identified most of the features on the wall, and we enjoyed watching the cluster f*ck on Sycle ledge. Later that afternoon, I wandered back to camp, and they went swimming in the river. I ran into Even, Stephen, Colleen, and Jeff at the slabs and they gave me a top rope on a fun little nameless 5.7 flake. Funny thing, Even and Tyler go to school together. I was meeting friends of friends.

Kevin and Gabe in a surprising success (to them, not me) did the Regular route clean and in short order. Kev looked tired the next morning so I had him teach me aiding and top rope soloing. I did Church Book Tree. A 10b/C1 climb. It was fantastic. I aided, top soloed, and then jugged. The afternoon was done and we were both in need of food.

Thursday evening I met Mash and Molly who moved to the Caribbean and were doing some climbing in the valley. Mash was home, and very enjoyable to meet. I should have gotten his e-mail. Such is life.

Friday, it was time to clear out of camp. I cleaned up and said good by to Tom and Danny, Anni and Pauli, and the rest of the crew. Kev and I met up and ran up the Frenzy. This climb was amazing, and the view of El Cap only improved as you moved up the pitches. On the last two pitches I got my game face on, and I got my very first gear bootie. I plucked a nut placement that came out like it was forgotten not stuck. I think I'm close to figuring out how to climb. Kevin was a great guide and I look forward to climbing with him again -- Maybe this winter after the holidays.

I feel like something profound should be said here. Something that would let you know that everything in the world is going to be alright, or maybe just to let you know I am going to be alright. All I can say is -- "What you manifest is before you" from The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Peace, Love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post, sounds like a very meaningful trip.

Anonymous said...

I know Mash and Molly! What a trip :)