Friday, July 4, 2008

Live Free or Die!

I love that saying. Happy Independence Day! Today, is a very emotional day for me. I have a friend coming over to help me liberate myself from years of comic books, magazines, books, and other trinkets. I wrote to another friend, Erin, that "Independence Day for me has been -- liberating. I am someone who holds tremendous sentimental value to things that don't matter. I'm purging them. I'm not forgetting them, but removing them." I continued with, "Part of me is tremendously scared. Seriously -- Scared. I don't really know or understand why but I'm imaging shedding my old self. I know there is someone great inside me and it is not defined by comic books, magazines, or trinkets...."

This got me to thinking -- I need to blog this! What an amazing day! I'm liberating myself from a box that I put myself in. Why was I so afraid to step out and see that there are other boxes, and bigger boxes to step into (and hopefully out of.) For years a dear friend of mine would tell me how she would love to just live out of her car. She'd be so happy to only have the stuff that fit in the back of her wagon. I would tell her that the cat box would be really stinky in the car. But Why! I didn't listen to that sooner I can only guess. I suppose that is something one learns from living on their own though. I have never in my life lived alone. I have always had a roommate, or family. Even now, I have the company of two cats and my dog. Today, I'm asking myself "Are You Living it?" and I am hoping if not, that I will be soon.

My dearest aunt has lived life very simply, and I'm striving to let go of the things in my life that no longer matter and cling on to what she can teach me. The things that truly matter to me -- I hope to find them again once I've cleared out all this junk.

Happy 4th of July!

No comments: