Sunday, July 6, 2008

Kayaking in Liberty Bay

It seems to be a weekend of Independence themes. It has been a fantastic weekend. Not all good, but nothing bad. Some emotional stuff -- letting go of "things." All in all, a marvelous weekend. Even Hana has had a good time.

Today, my new friend Ahmis and myself rented kayaks in the Poulsbo Marina, and spent an hour paddling around Liberty Bay. The start of our kayaking there was a big Blue Heron on a log boom. As we paddled past we noticed a baby seal and not far away was mamma, and she popped up just as we were cruising by gawking at the baby. A perfect start to our adventure. Ahmis and I paddled down past the marina and did a bit of chit-chat. Circled around and on the way back got to watch a sea plane land. It was coming right towards us but was plenty far away that we just got to watch and experience the moment.

On the way back to returning the kayaks, baby and mama seal visited us again. And we had a great end to a perfect start.

Now, I'm on craigslist looking for a new kayak. Or rather a new-to-me used kayak. I think I'm hooked. This is what I've always wanted. To spend my time, kayaking, camping, climbing, and generally outside. I guess sometimes we give up some of those dreams for something different. I don't think you have to give up anything, you just have to know what your priorities are and take the time to make them happen.

Enjoy life.

No comments: