Sunday, July 12, 2009

Making it on my own

I've been a bit lax on doing a blog update. I have been a bit lax on taking pictures too. The month of June was a big month for me. I worked 43 hours and during my free time I was out running, climbing, swimming, hiking and generally enjoying the people I have been meeting.

Feeling a bit jealous that I only worked 43 hours? Don't be. This is part of me making it on my own. I have made a decision to pare down my life so I have more hours to enjoy it. I make a lot less money, I am dependent on myself, I pay my own medical insurances... I worry still about the next day, week, and month will bring.

Although, Like most people I spent a majority of my younger employed years working 50+ hours a week. And in return I got laid off, I suffered personal vendettas, I dealt with sociopaths and narcissists, I got fired for insubordination, I worked 14 hour days 7 days a week with promised rewards I never received, I saw policies made that only impacted me because I wouldn't allow myself to be taken advantage by the business. I've seen and experienced a lot of really bad stuff. Things that no one should have to go through, and yet -- why are you still taking that treatment from your job you "love?"

Wait! Maybe you should be jealous. As my own business owner I have made my own company policies. #1 I will never take advantage of another person whether they are my employee, or my client. #2 I will never let an employee or client take advantage of me. If I don't like the conditions, I get to change them. I can, and need to be reasonable, of course. Yet -- my choices impact me directly. I don't live on the whim of someone who has been made my "boss" and doesn't really have the leadership skills, or personal skills in the first place. On top of that, I get to also make my own Holiday schedule. I get all the banking holidays off. Unless I want to work them. I take the two weeks around the Christmas Holiday off -- does any work really get done at this time? I also decided I get four additional weeks off during the year. The plan -- take a full month off each year (we'll see how that works out.)

Yes, when I take time off, I don't get money. This is true. At the same time -- I get to live a fuller life than I had before. So here I am out making it on my own...

As I said, June was a big month, but July... big in other ways. I started the month with 6 days in Squamish B.C. The first two were bouldering by myself and those I met in the Grand Wall Forest.

I'm not a good boulder. I'm just not. I can do V2, just not most V2's. I can do V1, just not all V1's, and I can do V0. I've attempted a couple V3, and V4's, but really it takes some nerve to fall. On the 5th day out, I was bouldering with my good friends Jason and Rhiannon, and we did some bouldering in an area that doesn't get much attention. I was on what felt like a high problem... My feet were probably 6 feet off the ground or less. I was getting nervous, and Jason just gave me a quick tap on the hip. I realized I wasn't that far. I made the final big move, the one before finessing your way over the top, and I slipped. My hands pulling off moss and pine needles. And I landed safely. I have to go back and complete this problem -- it was day five after all and my arms and elbows were very tired. Still, I tried to work through that final finessing a few more times... I had to walk away defeated -- but I can go back.

I also had one of my best days out climbing ever. I top roped the whole day, but I climbed at my peak. It was day three for me, and I was with Jason and Rhiannon again. We warmed up on a 5.9, then followed that with 10d, 10c, 10c, 10b, 5.7. It doesn't seem like much when I write it down, but at the same time... it was a great day of climbing. I'm still living through those climbs. I'm excited to go back and do them again. I'm excited that I'm doing 10d on top rope outside (it just isn't the same inside.)

The fourth day of climbing was pretty quiet. The air was warm, and I was tired. I did a few climbs 5.7, 5.9, 5.6, and then went swimming. It was refreshing and nice to get the grim off of me.

I'm now preparing for a nice 2.5 week trip for the end of July. I'm heading down to meet some friends in Reno, and to do some climbing in Tahoe. I don't know what I'll climb, but I'm also bringing a bouldering pad. It should be fun. I'll stay there for about a week and then head south to Tuolumne where my cousin is a SAR (Search and Rescue). I got my SuperTopo Toulumne Bouldering guide, a pad, gear (if I have a partner) and just some relaxing in the meadow.

I'm debating if I want to drop down to Red Rocks (what am I thinking, 100 degrees?) and then up through Utah, or out to Denver. I'm not sure. Depends if I get bored or not. If I find a partner for the whole trip that would be nice. Guess I should put the call out.

I hope all you out there are enjoying your summer. I will be bringing my camera along for this next trip and I will take pictures. I will try to put updates along the way...

As my good friend Dave would say, "Peace, Love beads, and Macrame." Maybe he says "Peas, Love, Beads, and Macrame." Hmmm... I'll get back to you on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are going through Vegas Mt. Charleston is much cooler this time of year (its at elevation). I agree that Red Rocks is a bit crazy...