Friday, February 13, 2009

Bends it like Beckham

Well I scored my second goal ever. Indoor soccer just too much fun. I'm surprised how much I enjoy playing. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination. I'm lucky. Last Tuesday night we, the Burninators, had a game against a team that didn't have enough players show up. I decided I would be a player on the opposing team. This worked out great for me, because I like to spend as much time on the field as possible. That isn't always the case with my regular team as we often will have some nine or more players show up. That means we have to watch so subs get a chance to play. The Burninators did a good job of winning the game, but there was a moment where the team I was on was moving forward down the field and the ball came to me. I was outside the goal box and I heard "shoot it, shoot it!" so I stopped the ball and turned to shoot. Dave, who's a fantastic player and has had lots of experience was being the goalie, was charging at me to stop the shot. I took my shot, and the ball swept past Dave's right side, and curved into the far corner of the goal.

I had to look twice, I was in a bit of shock really. No skill, pure luck. It felt fantastic! My regular team cheered me. Dave was the one tell me to to shoot. That just cracks me up. It was all too cool. And my temporary team was pretty excited with the score as well. The rest of the game was probably the best game I had ever played. As I tired, I started playing defense. This I seemed to do well at too. All the fancy foot work of the more skilled players didn't distract me from ruining the shot on our goal. Dave said I set a new bar and now he expects me to play that good all the time. I guess I better go buy some new shoes... I'm still playing in my street shoes.

I would have never guessed I would like all the running. I used to joke, if you see me running don't wait to find out why. Generally, I don't like to run, but soccer has kind of changed that. Running down the valley feels pretty good. The quads are a bit sore but it doesn't hurt as much, and my knees seem to be doing really well. Maybe all that yoga is paying off.

The days are warming, so got to get my last few ski runs in, and prep for the climbing season. Been in the gym more and have found that the lost of some 25 pounds has made climbing the harder stuff much easier. That is always a bit exciting but I don't want to be a numbers guy. I'd rather climb something easy and have lots of fun than be the best climber. Maybe that is why soccer has been so much fun. We are a bunch of desk jocks and we are all out there to have a good time.

I can hardly wait for the next soccer season to start and this one is not even over yet.

No comments: